Monday, August 14, 2023

“Radio Free Europe”, R.E.M.-Murmur—NPA

This way: Radio Free Europe

Near Perfect Album

For some reason I love songs that I have no idea what they are talking about. I’ve also realized I cannot or do not follow a plot in a movie or TV show. I’m just watching these characters walking around blindly thru life. Well here is a perfect album for me, I cant understand what he is saying in most songs. Murmur is the debut studio album by American alternative rock band R.E.M., released on April 12, 1983, by I.R.S. Records. Murmur drew critical acclaim upon its release for its unusual sound, defined by lead singer Michael Stipe's cryptic lyrics, guitarist Peter Buck’s jangly guitar style, and bass guitarist Mike Mills's melodic basslines. 

R.E.M. started preparing for their debut album in December 1982. I.R.S. paired R.E.M. with producer Stephen Hague, who had a higher profile than the band's previous producer Mitch Easter. Hague's emphasis on technical perfection did not suit the band; the producer made the group perform multiple takes of the song “Catapult”, which demoralized drummer Bill Berry. Also, Hague took the completed track to Synchro Sound studios in Boston and added keyboard parts to the track without the band's permission and to their dismay. Unsatisfied, the band members asked the label to let them record with Easter. I.R.S. agreed to a tryout session, allowing the band to travel to North Carolina and record the song ‘Pilgrimage’ with Easter and producing partner Don Dixon. After hearing the track, I.R.S. permitted the group to record the album with Dixon and Easter.


[Spotify, album] Murmur 

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Requiem”, Killing Joke

This way:  Requiem Killing Joke are an English rock band formed in Cheltenham, England in 1979 by Jaz Coleman (vocals, keyboards), Paul Ferg...