Thursday, May 13, 2021

“Do You Wanna”, Nana Yamato

 This way: Do You Wanna

“I didn't trust anyone adult,” claims Nana Yamato, “even my parents”. The 20-year old walks the streets of Tokyo like a superhero incognito. By day, Yamato is an ordinary girl who marches anonymously between her flat, her school and her job. But by night, when the world gets quiet, and the demands of education and employment have subsided, she becomes something else — a young artist whose urge for connection and expression has created one of the best underground pop records to come out of Japan, and elsewhere for that matter. “They thought I was a bad girl who went into weird stores,” says Nana, explaining her schoolmates’ impression of her as a teenage record collector. “In high school I had no friends to talk to or spend time with. But, somehow, my teachers and classmates knew what I was doing after school.” Her calling was found when one day she entered Big Love Records in Harajuku, Tokyo to buy an Iceage album. She then began going there everyday after school, where her studies shifted to the week’s latest indie rock releases. “Everything in my life started there.” 


[Spotify] Do You Wanna

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Black Sheets of Rain”, Bob Mould

This way:  Black Sheets of Rain Black Sheets of Rain is the second solo album by former Hüsker Dü guitarist and singer Bob Mould and feature...