Thursday, June 18, 2020

“My Little Red Book”, Love

This way: My Little Red Book
or My Little Red Book

This song came up on the Laurel Canyon documentary I tuned into the other day. Very catchy. Love’s adaptation of this Burt Bacharach/Hal David tune was the opening track for their eponymous debut album. and was released as a single with the B-side "A Message to Pretty". Love's version gained moderate mid-chart success and, with its radical interpretation of the original's pop sensibility, became a garage rock standard. The track, unlike its predecessor, features a strong primitive sensibility and a stiff chord progression simplified by Arthur Lee and guitarist Johnny Echols and blasted out over a stomping, tambourine-fueled rhythm section. As well as its garage traits, the song has been credited for its "punk" quality; a sound Love fully achieved with its later single "7 and 7 Is". A key feature of the track was Lee's rugged vocal performance, which has been highlighted by music critic Stewart Mason who particularly notes the way Lee sings the lines "All I did was talk, talk about you/Hear your name and I start to cry". From 1966.

[Spotify] My Little Red Book

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Ideologically Unsound”, Poison Girls

This way:  Ideologically Unsound The Poison Girls were an English anarcho-punk band from Brighton. The singer/guitarist, Vi Subversa, was a ...