Wednesday, July 3, 2019

“I Wish I Was A Mole In The Ground”, Bascom Lamar Lunsford

This way: I Wish I Was A Mole In The Ground

Bascom Lamar Lunsford (March 21, 1882 – September 4, 1973) was a lawyer, folklorist, and performer of traditional (folk and country) music from western North Carolina. He was often known by the nickname "Minstrel of the Appalachians." Bascom Lamar Lunsford was born at Mars Hill, Madison County, North Carolina in 1882, into the world of traditional Appalachian folk music. At an early age, his father, a teacher, gave him a fiddle, and his mother sang religious songs and traditional ballads. Lunsford also learned banjo and began to perform at weddings and square dances. After qualifying as a teacher at Rutherford College, Lunsford taught at schools in Madison County. In 1913, Lunsford qualified in law at Trinity College, later to become Duke University. He began to travel and collect material at the start of the 20th century, often meeting singers on isolated farms.

[Spotify] I Wish I Was A Mole In The Ground

[Spotify playlist] The full Spotify playlist

No comments:

Post a Comment

“What's Going On”, Hüsker Dü

This way:  What's Going On Best band of all time? Could be, certainly one of my all time favs. And this LP Zen Arcade is so good it hurt...